Sponsored by Hollins University, the 56th Annual Nancy Thorp Poetry Contest provides scholarships, prizes, and recognition for the best poems submitted by high-school aged women.
Winners will receive the following:
- $350 cash prize
- Publication in Cargoes, Hollins’ award-winning student literary magazine
- Ten copies of Cargoes
- Renewable scholarship up to $5,000 provided through the Creative Talent Award in Creative Writing applicable if you enroll at Hollins University. Total value of $20,000 in scholarship funds over four years.
- Free tuition and housing for the university’s Hollinsummer creative writing program (for rising 9-12th grade students)
- Publication in Cargoes
- Two copies of Cargoes
- Renewable scholarship up to $1,000 provided through the Creative Talent Award in Creative Writing applicable if you enroll at Hollins University. Total value of $4,000 in scholarship funds over four years.
$500 scholarship to apply toward the university’s Hollinsummer creative writing program (for rising 9-12th grade students)
What are the requirements?
- Students must submit their poem(s) in Microsoft Word, 12pt Times New Roman. [Please note: the contest has ended.]
- No more than two poems by any one student may be submitted
- Label all pages with the author’s name, title of poem, and page number
- Each entry must include the following information:
- Author’s name
- Author’s mailing address
- Author’s phone number and email address
- Year of author’s high school graduation
- High school teacher or guidance counselor’s name and email address
- Author’s school
- Address of author’s school
- Phone number of author’s school
- Note: Poems that are under consideration elsewhere are not eligible.
What is the deadline for entries?
October 31, 2019 [Please note: the contest has ended.]
Who judges the work?
Submissions are reviewed by faculty members of Hollins University’s noted creative writing program, as well as students currently enrolled in the university’s lauded M.F.A. in creative writing.
When are winners notified?
Who is Nancy Thorp?
Nancy Thorp, Hollins class of 1960, was a young poet who showed great promise when she was a student. Following her death in 1962, her family established the Nancy Thorp Poetry Contest to encourage and recognize the work of young poets.
Submit questions about the contest or your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.