Welcome, International Students!

Hollins University looks forward to welcoming our accepted international students soon. As an F-1 student, you’ll have access to all the resources offered by a world-class liberal arts institution, including cultural programming, internships and study abroad opportunities. While you’re completing your degree, you’ll work with a variety of departments and advisors on campus to make the most of your time here at Hollins.

Below, you’ll find an outline of what you can expect to accomplish during your four years at Hollins University, as well as the contact information for the people who will guide you along the way.

There’s a lot to do before you start your program at Hollins! Newly-accepted international students will work with the Cultural and Community Engagement office to prepare for their first semester, plan their travel to Roanoke, and attend the International Student Orientation Program (ISOP).

Here is your Four-Year Plan while at Hollins:


  • Participate in the International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) with upper-class peer mentors and staff across the university
  • Join A.C.C.E.N.T. (Association of Countries, Cultures, Events, and National Traditions)
  • Start a new club with a friend
  • Apply to be an ISOP peer mentor for your sophomore year

Sophomore Year

  • Participate in an internship
  • Attend Career Center Workshops, including a few designed specifically for international students
  • Engage in research with a faculty member
  • Explore study abroad options with Global Learning Hub advisors
  • Apply to be a peer mentor for the ISOP for your junior year
  • Declare your academic major(s)

Junior Year

  • Engage in research with a faculty member
  • Study abroad
  • Pursue summer internship or career-related employment
  • Apply to be a peer mentor for the ISOP for your senior year

Senior Year

  • Complete an internship
  • Write a thesis (if desired/required by your major)
  • Learn about post-graduation employment and how to apply for Optional Practical Training
  • Join a professional organization in your field
  • Build your personal and alumnae network for career mentoring and job searching
  • Prepare resume/cover letters and social media profiles as needed for job applications
  • Apply to graduate/professional school
  • Appreciate who you have become at Hollins and enjoy your final year here!

International Student FAQ

Have a question we haven’t answered? Please review the glossary of terms you’ll encounter as an F-1 student, then check our FAQs for the most common questions and answers about the international student experience at Hollins.

Below is just a small sampling of the FAQ for International students. To view the full list, click the VIEW ALL FAQ link below and select “International Student” from the Audience options.

View All FAQs faq-listing-arrow
  • My financial/academic/personal information has changed. What do I need to do?

    accordion plus icon

    For any major changes, you must report to the International Student Engagement Office to receive an updated I-20. These changes can include, but are not limited to, declaring a major, receiving on-campus employment, getting married or renewing your passport or visa.

  • I am leaving the U.S. and need to renew my visa. Where can I do this?

    accordion plus icon

    Students who want to renew their visas can do so at any U.S. embassy or consulate. While many students choose to go home, others may want to travel to Canada or Mexico, or another nearby country.

  • My F-1 visa is expiring. Do I need to renew it?

    accordion plus icon

    The F-1 visa is an entry document, which means you will need it to enter the U.S. If you are not planning on traveling outside of the U.S., then you do not need to renew your visa. It is legal to remain in the U.S. on an expired F-1 visa.

  • I have received my F-1 visa and am planning to travel to the U.S. soon. When can I arrive?

    accordion plus icon

    The U.S. consulate or embassy where you apply can process your visa up to 120 days before the start date of your academic program. You may enter the country as early as 30 days before your program begins.

    New students must arrive in time for the ISOP orientation, which begins one week prior to the start of classes.

  • I’ve made an appointment at my local U.S. consulate or embassy. What should I bring with me?

    accordion plus icon

    Although every U.S. embassy and consulate applies the same regulations and laws, each visa office follows its own procedures. It is important to check the website of the consulate to which you will apply for your visa to learn about their particular procedures.

    In general, you will need:

    • a valid passport
    • your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 form) from Hollins
    • documentation of financial resources in the amount indicated on the I-20
    • your letter of admission to Hollins
    • your receipt, indicating that you have paid the I-901 fee
    • a color, passport-style photo (please see photo requirements on Travel.State.gov)
    • the visa fee (which is separate from the I-901 fee)
    • any other required documentation listed on the consulate’s website
  • I’ve been admitted. How long will it take to get my I-20?

    accordion plus icon

    After you receive your notice of admission, your application and supporting documents will be sent to the International Student Engagement Office. They will reach out to confirm your mailing address before generating your I-20. Once your I-20 has been mailed, you will generally receive it within 7-10 business days.

The International Student Engagement Office at Hollins University is responsible for assisting international students with their visa application process and with understanding the regulations and requirements they must follow once in the U.S.

International students have a number of work opportunities available at Hollins University, whether they’re applying for on-campus jobs, internships or post-graduation employment.


For questions about applying to Hollins University, contact:

Kelly Farber
Assistant Director of International Recruitment and Event Coordinator

International Student Information

For questions about orientation, maintaining visa status, and any other visa/immigration questions, contact:

Erin Carney
Director, HU Connect and International Student Engagement
Intl Cell/WhatsApp: 540-588-6316

Internships and Career Planning

For questions about internships and career planning, contact:

or visit our Career Development and Life Design page.

Graduate Programs

For questions about Hollins University’s graduate programs for international students, contact: