Vibrant Global Community - Hollins International Student Map
A sampling of the countries where our international students have originated over the past five years.

Maintaining Your F-1 Visa Status

The International Programs office at Hollins University is committed to providing guidance and assistance to incoming international students. We work closely with a variety of departments on campus, including Admissions, Cultural and Community Engagement, and the Career Center to provide students with the resources they need to succeed.

  • New International Students

    accordion plus icon

    Welcome to Hollins! We’re so excited to have you join us in Roanoke, Virginia.
    Please review the Pre-Arrival Information for F-1 Visas, and familiarize yourself with the visa application process. Once you’ve received your I-20 from International Programs, you’ll need to make a visa appointment at your local consulate or embassy. You can begin the F-1 visa application process at any time, but your visa will only be issued within 120 days of your program start date. If you apply earlier than 120 days prior to your start date (as listed on your I-20), the consulate or embassy may “hold onto” your visa until it can be issued.

    If you’re a current F-1 student in the U.S. who has been accepted to Hollins, please complete a F-1 Transfer-In Form and return it to Ramona Kirsch.

    The International Programs office is responsible for advising our international students on all aspects of the F-1 visa application process, as well as assisting them with maintaining their status during their undergraduate or graduate program. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you might have.

  • International Student Check-In

    accordion plus icon

    All F-1 visa holders are required to complete their semester check-in prior to the second week of classes. Please complete the F-1 Registration Form and bring it to the International Programs office during regular business hours at the start of each semester.

  • Current International Students

    accordion plus icon

    It is important that all F-1 students understand their reporting responsibilities and how to properly maintain their status while in the U.S. Please review the following resources for more information on your F-1 Student ResponsibilitiesTravel on an F-1 Visa, and how to pay taxes during your program of study.

    For any questions about these and other topics, please review the Frequently Asked Questions page or contact the International Programs office.

  • Graduate or Transfer Students

    accordion plus icon

    Students who are in their final semester at Hollins are encouraged to review their post-graduate options. All F-1 students who have finished their program of study enjoy a 60-day grace period, which begins after the “session end date” listed on their I-20. This grace period can be used to apply for OPT, begin a new degree program at another institution or simply to travel around the U.S.

    If you’re interested in applying for OPT, please review the regulations outlined on the Working as an F-1 Student page. International Programs also offers an optional OPT orientation in the Fall and Spring for seniors in their final semester.

    Any student who has been accepted to a new program in the U.S. must complete the F-1 Transfer-Out Release, before their record can be sent to their new university. You will also need to supply International Programs with your official acceptance letter from the school you will be attending.


Through the International Programs office, international students have access to assistance with their F-1 visas, guidance on federal immigration regulations and support for those pursuing post-graduation employment (OPT).

Ramona R. Kirsch
Director, International Programs
(540) 362-6214