Before your arrival at Hollins, you will receive a great deal of information and many forms to complete from various offices on campus. These offices include HU Connect and International Student Engagement, Admission, Student Success, Well-Being, and Belonging, Housing and Residence Life, Health and Counseling Services, and others. It is very important that you complete and return any documents or forms requested by these offices and others. We send much of this material via e-mail to get it to you as quickly as possible.

You will be contacted by these offices through your Hollins email address once that has been created; make sure to check your Hollins email throughout the summer for important deadlines and news!

Once you’ve arrived on campus, you’ll take part in the International Student Orientation Program (ISOP). During this orientation, you’ll be introduced to the resources available to all Hollins students, as well as the departments that will assist you with issues unique to F-1 students studying in the U.S.

It is important to remember that you must arrive at Hollins University in time to attend your orientation. If you have questions regarding when to arrive on campus, the ISOP program, or any visa or immigration matters, please contact Erin Carney, Director of HU Connect and International Student Engagement, at

  • What is ISOP?

    accordion plus icon

    The International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) is a three-day, pre-Orientation program in August that continues to foster your leadership skills year-round, building a strong support system at Hollins through:

      • A fun experience with new international students, upper class peer mentors & staff
      • Assistance getting settled (opening bank account, shopping trips)
      • Support and advice on issues of cultural adjustment
      • Weekly “family time” every Monday night
      • One-on-one meetings with the associate dean as needed
      • Opportunity to stay on campus over Thanksgiving & spring breaks
      • Outings to explore the region (Roanoke, Washington D.C.)
      • Conference linking international students and alumnae

  • Arrival in Roanoke

    accordion plus icon

    All international students are required to arrive in Roanoke prior to the start of ISOP. Tentative arrival dates will be posted on the ISOP page and in the International Student Manual provided by Erin Carney, ISE Director.

    Your flight information and travel plans must be sent to Erin Carney so that she can coordinate airport pick-ups and other parts of the arrival process.

    Although you will be met at the airport or bus station upon your arrival in Roanoke, it is advisable to bring some American currency with you on your trip, in case of emergency prior to your final destination. You should have at least $200 with you for food, unexpected overnight stay, or any other needs that might arise due to a missed connecting flight or other unanticipated event.

      • ISE Director Erin Carney can be reached via cell phone/WhatsApp (540) 588-6316 in case of any immigration or border issues or any travel delays or changes. 

  • International Student Housing

    accordion plus icon

    Most first-year students, international and American, are assigned to Tinker Hall. Once you’ve received your student email account and password, you’ll be able to complete the New Student Housing Information form.

    Before you arrive in the U.S., you’ll receive your housing assignment and more information about what you can expect while living in your residence hall.

    Once you know where you’ll be living, you may want to consider shipping some of your personal items to campus ahead of yourself. See the International Student Manual for more information about how to do this.

  • Immunizations and Health Insurance

    accordion plus icon

    All students living in residence halls on campus are required to provide proof of immunizations prior to move-in. Government regulations require that all students have the following immunizations: tetanus-diphtheria (booster must be within the last ten years), measles/mumps/rubella, (two doses), polio (completed series), and Hepatitis B.

    Some of these vaccinations can be obtained on campus. For more information regarding the Health and Immunization Record, and how to get your required vaccinations, please visit Health and Counseling Services.

    International students are also required to purchase health insurance through Hollins University, if their current policy does not meet our minimum requirements. Use our plan comparison tool to find out if you’ll need to buy a Hollins policy.