For rising 9th-12th-grade girls:
Sunday, July 15 – Saturday, July 21, 2018
Spend a week of your summer at Hollins University in the newly renovated Dana Science center. The Experiment and Explore: Summer Science Camp at Hollins is for all budding scientists! You’ll have experience in biology, chemistry, and environmental science along with being able to delve deeper into scientific topics that you are passionate about including forensic science, ecology, and health science. Hollins faculty and staff members collaborate in a highly supportive and creative environment, with revolving guest experts on special topics. Come explore science with us!
Day (9 am – 5 pm): $400
- A deposit of $200 is required at the time of registration.
- Campers who register and pay the nonrefundable $200 deposit by March 1 receive a 10% discount on the total camp cost.
- All payments are due in full by June 15, or your registration will be canceled and your deposit will not be refunded.
- Has a B.A. in chemistry from Kalamazoo College and a Ph.D. in inorganic chemistry from Purdue University
- Teaches general chemistry and inorganic chemistry
- Synthesizes new molecules that contain transition metal atoms and studies their spectroscopic and electrochemical properties
- Is with Francis Bacon in believing that “wonder is the seed of knowledge”
- Graduated from Hollins with a B.A. in biology in 2006; Ph.D. in wildlife ecology and management from the University of Georgia
- Teaches ecology, environmental science, conservation biology, and plant biology
- Has an active research program exploring disease and pest ecology with a particular focus on tick-borne diseases and the emerald ash borer
- Performs research that requires a mix of both field work and molecular work in the laboratory