Students starting in the fall: Placement tests in mathematics/quantitative literacy, chemistry, and languages are available between April 1 and June 1. Please complete your tests by May 28 so that we can make sure you are registered for the appropriate class. Placement tests are designed to assess your current level in the subject, so no additional studying or preparation is necessary.
Students starting in the spring: Tests are available until January 13.
Before you go begin the online placement tests:
- Make sure you’re ready to take the test(s)
- Read the information on this page
- Earn elective credits in the sciences
When you’re ready, take the test(s).
Mathematics & Quantitative Literacy
This test, required of all new students, determines which course(s) you need to fulfill your quantitative literacy requirements and which mathematics and statistics courses you are eligible to take.
All students must study an ancient or modern language and are required to take the language placement test for all languages studied in high school. See the academic catalog for requirements.
- Take placement tests for all languages studied in high school. Your scores will determine how much language, if any, you will need to take at Hollins.
Transfer students who have completed one year of university study in a language have satisfied the language requirement and do not need to take a placement test.
Horizon students with a year of transfer credit in a language have satisfied the language requirement.
Take the chemistry placement test if you want to:
- Pursue a degree in biology or chemistry
- Pursue a career in a health-related field
- Fulfill your scientific inquiry or applied quantitative reasoning requirements with a chemistry course