Complaint Procedures

Students who believe they have been treated unfairly academically are encouraged to meet with the instructor to attempt to resolve the matter informally. The complete process for handling grievances within Hollins can be found in the Graduate Student Handbook (PDF).

Students enrolled in our online graduate programs (Master of Arts in Teaching and Learning or Master of Arts in Liberal Studies) who live outside of Virginia in a SARA state must first file a complaint with the institution by following the above resources. If an issue cannot be resolved by the university’s internal processes, a complaint involving allegations of dishonest or fraudulent activity, including the provision of false or misleading information, may be brought to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). Alternatively, students may submit a complaint about a SACSCOC-accredited institution using the SACSCOC complaint process.

Licensure Disclosure

Background: Hollins University’s Master of Arts in Teaching is a hybrid degree program that can lead to professional licensure within the Commonwealth of Virginia. Hollins’ Master of Arts in Teaching and Learning is a flexible, online graduate program for licensed teachers who want to become extraordinary PK-12 educators. States vary in what they require to be licensed and how licensure functions. Some states require an individual to graduate from an approved program.  Others require an individual to meet other requirements as well. A specific amount of training can also be required as well as passage of an exam.

State Authorization: Hollins University is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) which allows us to provide distance learning programs and coursework to residents of states other than Virginia. NC-SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt us from state professional licensing requirements. As a result, licensure requirements in Virginia may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state. Please check with your state to determine licensure requirements. This convenient information sheet can be a good starting point.

Relocation: Hollins collects location information from students as part of the registration process. This information is collected every semester. Relocating during the course of a program to another state may impact if the student can remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements and/or continue to receive financial aid funding. Prior to considering relocation, please contact your program to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.