The security department and dispatch center are in the lobby of Botetourt Hall. The center is staffed 24 hours a day throughout the year.
Numbers You Should Know
Ext. 6911: connects any campus phone with the security department. Use it when in need of fire, police, or medical response, or in case of a threat to community safety.
Ext. 6419: for personal safety escorts and other nonemergency calls.
Emergency Call Boxes
Hollins has 12 emergency phones located at strategic points around the campus. Ten have a blue light, visible at night, atop metal or wooden poles. Pressing the red button connects you with the dispatch center.
Residence Hall Security
- All exterior doors to the student residence halls, except the front doors to Main Building, are locked 24 hours a day.
- Student rooms in newer residence halls have deadbolts, but some older residence hall rooms have conventional door locks.
- Student residences have a two-lock system (exterior door, student’s room). Students must lock their own rooms.
- Students must escort their male guests in residence halls at all times.
- Security officers inspect facilities on every duty tour, write repair orders, and follow up to ensure prompt repairs. Repairs affecting personal or residence hall security are made the same day.
- Some university facilities are equipped with video camera surveillance systems. The apartments are monitored by camera 24/7 at the dispatch center.
- Although administrative buildings are locked after normal business hours, some academic buildings are open 24/7 for student access. Security officers patrol all 24/7 buildings.
- The physical plant department maintains university buildings and grounds with concerns for safety and security.