Hollins is one of the nation’s strongest equestrian schools. Although our powerhouse team has produced champion after champion, riding is never seen as separate from or more important than your entire college experience.
“At Hollins riders of all levels can improve their skills — often well beyond their greatest expectations.”
Associate Director, Riding
“Along with the students and barn staff, the coaches create a friendly, supportive environment for us to really grow and improve. The Hollins horses are some of the nicest horses I have had a chance to ride.”
Riders have a variety of choices at Hollins. Some do all of the following, and others choose not to compete:
- Compete in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) and the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA), riding regionally and nationally for team and individual points at various levels of experience. All fees are paid by the university.
- Compete outside the collegiate circle in local and national horse shows on horses owned by Hollins, or private horses.
- Work with area professionals and learn the inner workings of horse show management.
- Take classes suitable for beginner through advanced riders. Every Hollins rider is enrolled in lessons, which count toward P.E. credit.
- Bring your own horse and board it at our state-of-the art facility.
- 19 individual IHSA national championships
- Two team national championships
- Four Fitch Trophy/Cacchione Cup Individual National High Point Rider championships
- Qualified for IHSA Nationals as a team 12 times
- Hollins coaches have been named coach of the year 20 times
- Won the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) championship 20 times
- Hollins riders have been ODAC Rider of the Year numerous times
- 43 large box stalls with rubber mats
- Overhead fly-control system and a wash rack with hot and cold water
- Two tack rooms
- A comfortable stable lounge
- Fire and theft security system
- Laundry room
- Seven spacious pastures and paddocks with white four-board fencing
- Late-model truck, featuring a 4-Star gooseneck trailer to provide safe transport of horses to and from horse shows
- 220′ x 110′ indoor ring with a heated and air-conditioned viewing lounge and sound system
- Outdoor ring
- Outside jumping course
- 2018-19 Riding Fee – $1,195.00 per course
Horse Boarding Fees:
- $600.00 per month in upper barn
- $500.00 per month in lower barn
Equestrian Program Director and Head Riding Coach
B.S., Virginia Tech
Associate Director of Riding
A.A., Southern Seminary
SARAH BROWN ’13
Equestrian Recruiting and Marketing Coordinator
B.A., Hollins University; J.D., Elon University
Riding Center Manager, Assistant to Director of Riding
A.A., Southern Seminary
The Hollins Riding Club is open to all students who participate in the riding program, regardless of skill level. The club, which is completely run by students, serves as a support system for the riding program by helping organize IHSA shows held at Hollins and service-related activities.View All Clubs & Organizations
Hollins has an extraordinary group of school horses, all donated by alumnae and equestrian professionals who know of the school’s excellent care and winning reputation. Among the horses are legends, many having shown at the top shows in the nation, such as WEF, Harrisburg, WIHS, and Devon.