Many of our students come with experience in community service work and want to continue that outreach during college. Hollins offers a variety of ways to get involved.
- Sandusky Service House — Student volunteers can choose to live on campus in this specialty house.
- Many academic courses incorporate civic involvement, taking students into the Roanoke Valley.
- Our annual Day of Service — As part of first-year orientation, we link up new students with local service opportunities. Video
- SHARE — A peer education group that recruits volunteers and coordinates with a variety of agencies and organizations. It also operates the campus free store.
- The Jamaica Cultural Immersion Program — since 1988, over 400 Hollins community members have taken part in an annual service trip to Lucea.
The Office of Spiritual and Religious Life sponsors an annual alternative spring break opportunity in which members of the Hollins community volunteer with Habitat for Humanity to build and repair houses for low-income individuals and families in Hilton Head, South Carolina. This partnership has been in place for five years. (photo, above)