The 1842 Society, which honors the year that Hollins was founded, is Hollins’ premier recognition society for annual donors to Hollins. The brainchild of Pat Bain ’49, the society has been recognizing those donors who provide yearly leadership support since 1968. The 1842 Society provides special recognition to alumnae/i, parents, and friends who give at least $1,842 during the year to any designation at Hollins.
Your membership in The 1842 Society is an investment in Hollins that supports our mission of offering the highest quality liberal arts education for women. While the majority of these gifts go directly to the area where they are needed most, many of donors direct their membership gifts to scholarships, educational departments, and programs. Whatever it is that you love best about Hollins may be supported through your 1842 Society contribution.
Members of The 1842 Society are acknowledged in the online donor list, and receive special benefits throughout the year.
All donations totaling at least $1,842 annually, restricted or not, qualifies the donor for membership. Gifts from family foundations and corporate matching gifts count towards membership.
Benefits of membership
- Quarterly newsletters for The 1842 Society members;
- Recognition on the website;
- Invitations to periodic group video calls with President Hinton;
- Small group gatherings with President Hinton and Board of Trustee members at events;
- Private gatherings with President Hinton during visits to your area;
- An invitation to a special event at Reunion