The Spanish major is for students interested in learning Spanish, or improving their Spanish-language skills. They also explore the culture, literature, and the business practices of the world’s Hispanic sector.
Major in Spanish
The Spanish program at Hollins offers small classes in a challenging, family-like atmosphere. In this program, it’s not unusual for students to study Spanish along with another field.
Minor in Spanish
Popular complementary majors to the minor include international business, art, biology, communication studies, and political science.
What You'll Learn
Independent Study Examples
- Researching how businesses operate in Bolivia
- Serving as a translator with a medical team in Honduras and making a documentary of the experience
- Working as translators and interpreters for refugee services
- Attending language institutes in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, and Spain for a month-long immersion course
- Volunteering to teach Spanish to first- and third-graders in elementary schools throughout Virginia
- Reading and analyzing literary works by Alejo Carpentier, Juan Goytisolo, Manuel Puig, Antonio Buero Vallejo, and Julia Navarro, among other writers