Accommodations & Travel Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Where will I live?

You’ll stay in one of our on-campus residence halls located near classrooms, tennis courts, and an indoor swimming pool.

Who will be in charge?

Our residential counselors are undergraduate and/or graduate students. The residential coordinator is a professional staff member with Hollins University and supervises the camp counseling staff. The residential coordinator and counseling staff will be on or near campus 24 hours a day.

What if I am flying as an unaccompanied minor?

Please contact the Office of Admission at 1-800-456-9595 or email Airlines require the name, address, and telephone number of the person who will meet the student traveling as an unaccompanied minor. We cannot provide that information to you at this time. The Hollinsummer coordinator will contact you two or three days before the departure date to notify you of the name of the staff member who will meet your child at the gate.

Is transportation to and from the airport provided?

We provide free shuttle service to and from the airport. Please complete the supplemental transportation form you will receive via email to let us know your travel plans.

What if my travel arrangements change?

Contact the Hollinsummer coordinator at 1-800-456-9595 as soon as possible if you travel plans change.

Are bed linens provided?

Hollinsummer does not provide bed linens. If you are unable to pack them, you can mail them to our office before the start of camp.

What if someone wants to visit me during the camp?

You must arrange any leave of absence in advance with the residential coordinator. Given the short length of the camp and intensity of activities and classes, we strongly discourage visitors and absences from camp.

How might campers be contacted during the camp?

Parents may contact campers by:

Regular mail: Hollinsummer, Camper’s Name, Box 9707, 7916 Williamson Road, Roanoke, VA 24020

Mail delivery will take at least two extra days, as the mail must travel from the U.S. postal service to the Hollins postal service to the Hollinsummer office and then to the participant. Hollins mail is not delivered on Saturdays.

Fax: 540-362-6218 Attention: Hollinsummer, Camper’s Name

Phone: Office of Admission/ Hollinsummer Office: 1-800-456-9595

During the day, parents may call and leave messages for campers with the Office of Admission (which manages the Hollinsummer programs). Messages will be checked regularly throughout the day. In the case of an emergency, please contact the security department at 540-362-6419.

What if I want to bring a laptop?

Though it is not a requirement for any of the Hollinsummer programs, you can bring a laptop. However, the camp will not be responsible for loss or damage to the computer and equipment.

How much spending money will I need?

There isn’t much of a need for spending money during your stay on campus. The bookstore will only be open limited hours during the day, and all meals will be provided for each participant.

What if I need medical attention?

A nurse is on campus every day. We will call parents for advice and recommendations if the problem does not require immediate medical attention. If the problem is serious, a staff member will arrange for medical treatment at one of the Roanoke-area hospitals. When possible, staff members will contact parent(s)/guardian(s) before seeking treatment.

Parents must complete all parts of the medical form.
  • You will receive an email with information about the form.
  • Return it (it must be complete and legible) before the beginning of camp.
  • Staff will refer to this form for contact information in case of a medical emergency.
  • Medical personnel will refer to this form if medical treatment is necessary.
  • This form is the only guide a health care provider will have in case of an emergency.

What if I need to cancel?

Make a cancellation request by sending a fax to 540-362-6218 or emailing the Office of Admission at If the participant cancels for any reason before June 15, 2018, we will refund the full amount, minus the deposit. If you cancel after June 15, we will not grant a refund.

What if I need financial assistance?

Scholarships are not currently available for the Hollinsummer programs.

What will I eat?

All program participants eat in the campus dining hall. Campers in all programs choose from a variety of vegetarian and meat entrees, vegetables, breads, sandwiches, salad bar, drinks, and desserts.

What if I lose my residence/meal card or key?

Notify your counselor immediately so we can issue a replacement and deactivate the lost key card. Campers assume the cost to replace each lost or damaged key card ($15) or room key ($75).

What if I am unable to attend class?

If you will be absent for the day, notify your residential counselor so we can inform your instructor.