Home : Student Life : Residence Life : FAQs

Frequently asked questions

Room & Residence Hall Information

What will be in my room when I arrive?

Hollins provides each student with a desk, chair, dresser, standard-size twin bed (mattress and frame), and a closet. If you would like to see a list of suggested items that you should bring, or to know what items are prohibited in student rooms/apartments, please look at our Packing Made Easy list.

Will my room be cleaned?

All residence hall rooms are cleaned and inspected prior to student arrival. Once you arrive, it is your responsibility to clean your own room.

What if there is furniture missing or a problem with my room when I arrive?

Please contact your Resident Assistant (RA), who will help you with any immediate concerns like missing furniture. Additionally, students will be given a Room Condition Report (RCR) or Apartment Condition Report (ACR) upon check-in. Students have 48 hours to complete their RCR/ACR and return it to HRL, or they forfeit the right to contest damage assessments upon check-out.

Are the rooms carpeted, and will I have curtains?

The main hallways in all residence halls are carpeted. Tinker rooms and Apartment bedrooms have tile floors. West, East, Rath Haus, and Rose Hill hall rooms have hardwood floors. All other residence halls (Carvin, French House, Main, Randolph, and Sandusky) have carpeted rooms. In all buildings, the windows have mini-blinds already furnished.

Will I have cable and Internet access in my room?

Every residence hall room is furnished with one cable outlet; it is the responsibility of the student to provide the television and the cable that connects it to the wall outlet. In addition, an Ethernet outlet is provided in the room for each student, which includes a direct connection to the Hollins University network. Students are responsible for bringing their own Ethernet cables. Additionally, all residence halls are wireless.

Will there be a telephone in my room?

The university provides a telephone line in every student room or apartment. Students are responsible for providing their own telephone sets. These phones must be touch-tone and compatible with the standard telephone modular-wiring jacks. Each room or apartment is assigned a nontransferable telephone number. The telephone line will not be active when you arrive on campus, but you can submit a request to activate your line at the following link: https://hollins.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_801exMiULlwP51X. There is no additional charge to your account to activate the phone line.

How do I make calls from the landline in my room?

For calls to other rooms or offices on-campus, you only need to dial the last four digits of the number (also known as the extension).

For off-campus calls, you must dial 9, then the number as you would normally dial it.

For long-distance calls, if you wish to use a calling card, you still have access to 1-800 lines and you can always place collect or charge calls to a calling card or major credit card. Students cannot contract individually for long-distance service for a private telephone line. You will not be able to accept collect calls in your room.

Problems with phones should be reported to the help desk at: extension 7777, Off-campus - 540.362.6538, or email - helpdesk@hollins.edu.

Can I bring a refrigerator?

Students may bring their own refrigerators. We require that the refrigerators are no larger than 4.5 cubic foot capacity.

Students may also rent refrigerators from the university for $25/term ($50 yearly). These refrigerators (limited number available) have a two cubic foot capacity and a freezer. If a student changes rooms during the year, she may take the refrigerator with her. Students who do not clean their refrigerators before leaving campus for the summer will be fined $15. To reserve a refrigerator, please contact Gloria Bryant in Physical Plant at (540) 362-6485 or gbryant@hollins.edu. Please allow two weeks for delivery.

What buildings are air-conditioned?

The Apartments, Carvin, French House, Rose Hill, Rath Haus, Tinker, and Sandusky are all air-conditioned. Randolph does not have air-conditioning in each room, but the hallways are cooled. East, Main, and West are not air-conditioned.

How do I adjust or turn off the heat in my room?

Randolph residents
There should be a black knob on the heating unit in your room. Turn this knob to adjust the amount given off by the heater.

Buildings with radiators
At the base of the radiator there should be a knob with a plastic covering. Turn this knob to adjust the amount of heat entering your room.

Apartment, Rath Haus, Rose Hill, and Tinker residents
Adjust your thermostat.

If you continue to have trouble adjusting the heat in your room, please submit a maintenance request.

When will the heat come on (or be turned off)?

Switchover from Heating to Cooling
Plant Operations personnel perform the required changeover from heating to air-conditioning in the spring. Because of the varying equipment installed throughout campus, buildings must be changed over individually. Plant Operations performs the changeover on the basis of priorities established to (1) provide comfort to students living in residence halls, (2) maintain required temperatures to protect equipment and research in progress, and (3) serve the greatest number of individuals and activities. Air conditioning may not begin until outside temperature has reached 75°F for seven consecutive days. Temperature projections are also considered. Special problems or hardships with this policy should be addressed to the vice president for finance and administration.

Switchover from Cooling to Heating Plant Operations personnel perform required changeover from air-conditioning to heating in the Fall. Because of the varying equipment installed throughout campus, buildings must be changed over individually. Plant Operations performs the changeover on the basis of priorities established to (1) provide comfort to students living in residence halls, (2) maintain required temperatures to protect equipment and research in progress, and (3) serve the greatest number of individuals and activities. Heating may not begin until the high outside air temperature has dropped below at least 55°F for seven consecutive days. Temperature projections are also considered. Special problems or hardships with this policy should be addressed to the vice president for finance and administration.

How do I submit a maintenance request?

To submit a maintenance request, log in to my.hollins.edu. Under "Campus Services" in the "Quick Links" section of the Home tab is a link for maintenance request forms. Fill out this form as thoroughly as possible in order to have the problem fixed. Building and maintenance calls in residence halls are conducted only between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Where will I do laundry?

In Tinker, there is a laundry room on each floor. In Randolph, there is a laundry room located on the first floor. Hill House and Front Quad residents use the West laundry facility, located behind West hall. For Apartment residents, there is a laundry room on the 2nd row of the apartments.

Will I have access to a kitchen?

Yes, all residence halls have at least one kitchen. In Tinker and Main, there is one kitchen on each floor. For the other residence halls, there is a kitchen near the building’s main lounge. Each apartment has a full kitchen, including appliances.

Can I smoke in my room or apartment?

Hollins University is a smoke-free community. Smoking is prohibited in all apartments, houses, and residence hall areas. This includes individual rooms, restrooms, and common areas.

Roommates & Housing Assignments

I’m a new student – will I have a roommate, and if so, when will I find out who she is?

All first-year students are assigned housing based on the information they provide on the New Student Housing Information Form. When completing the Housing Information Form, students will be asked to indicate if they want a double with a roommate or a single. Students selecting the single-room option pay an additional fee for the single. Singles will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis as space permits.

You will be notified of your housing assignment, roommate’s contact information, and any other essential information via your Hollins University email account over the summer in July. We strongly encourage new students to contact their roommates (using contact information included with your housing assignment) to coordinate large room items, such as refrigerators, televisions, etc.

What if I need a housing accommodation for medical reasons?

Housing accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis by the director of housing and residence life, the deans of student affairs and academic services, and health and counseling services and are assigned only in response to appropriate documentation of the student's condition(s). Reasonable accommodations will be made to meet the documented need; specific housing requests cannot be guaranteed.

Students requesting accommodations MUST complete the Request for Housing Accommodations form and must have a licensed clinical professional OR health care provider complete the Verification Form for Housing Accommodations. Both forms, as well as additional information about the accommodations process can be obtained from the director of housing and residence life.

Accommodations for single rooms are limited to designated single rooms of which the university has a limited number.


What should I do if I’m experiencing conflict with my roommate(s)?

If you find yourself in a conflict or difficult situation/conversation with your roommate, we ask that you talk to both your roommate and your Resident Assistant (RA) about the issue(s). Your RA is available to assist you in communicating your concerns to your roommate, and will work with all residents involved to resolve the situation. If these initial steps are not successful, your RA will ask for involvement from the residential learning coordinator, graduate assistant, or director of housing and residence life as needed to find the most appropriate/safe solution for all residents involved.

What do I do if I want to change rooms?

Overall, room changes will not be granted during the first two weeks of a semester, or in the months of December and May. Changes may be implemented after both roommates participate in the conflict resolution process with their RA and/or residential learning coordinator, which may result in a renegotiation of the roommate agreement.

If the resolution process is not successful, any student who still desires to change rooms will need to obtain a room change request form from their residential learning coordinator or the director of housing and residence life. Before a student is able to physically change rooms, she is required to fully complete the room change process, which is outlined in the current handbook. An unauthorized room change may result in a $100 charge to the student's account, and she may face possible student conduct sanctions.

What is room consolidation and how does it work?

Room consolidation is the process by which housing and residence life fills open spaces in multiple occupancy rooms. In cases where one of the occupants moves from the assigned space, the student(s) who remain will have the following options:

Move to another room with a resident who is also without a roommate.

Invite another resident without a roommate to move in.

Move to a single room, if available.

If approved by the director of housing and residence life, pay to keep the room as a double-as-a-single.

Choose to have the space remain open, but at any time and at the discretion of the office of housing and residence life, a student may be placed in the open space. If, at the time a student is placed in the open space the resident of the room informs the new resident that she does not want a roommate, the original resident of the room will automatically be billed the double-as-a-single rate.

If needed, housing and residence life will initiate a room consolidation process. At any time the HRL staff will be happy to assist students in trying to find a roommate.

Other Questions
When can students start arriving in the fall and/or spring semesters? Please refer to the Important Dates for the opening and closing dates for each semester, and also for Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks.
What is the best way to ship packages to Hollins?

United States Postal Service mail
Mail addressed to students should be addressed to their United States Postal Service Post Office Box address. Packages being sent through the USPS should be addressed the same way. See SPECIAL NOTE below. The campus post office is a federal post office and has regular hours Monday through Friday.

On-campus Mail
For on-campus delivery to students, mail should be taken to printing, mailing, and shipping services (PM&SS) (lower level of Main) before 10 a.m. with the recipient’s name, residence hall, and room number clearly indicated. The PM&SS staff should be notified several days in advance of desired delivery dates when large mailings are planned. It normally takes three to four days to deliver special flyers and invitations to all students throughout the residence halls and apartments. If you want to send something to a faculty member, administrator, or staff member, place it in the appropriate mail box in Botetourt Hall.

Shipping: Deliveries and Incoming Packages
All ground and overnight deliveries to students from all carriers (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) except the USPS are delivered to PM&SS in Main weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Package recipients will be notified at their Hollins email address. Assistance will be available for heavy packages, with a signed liability waiver. Weekend and evening deliveries are left at campus security in Botetourt Hall. Students are called to pick up overnight packages. Access to PM&SS after normal hours can be made through campus security on a case by case basis (e.g. medications, airline tickets, and time-sensitive materials).

For correct shipping, use the campus route/street address indicated below (same as for emergency 911 calls). Only use a Post Office Box as an address for mailings sent through the USPS. When ordering catalog merchandise, be sure to ask how items are being shipped (UPS or USPS) since UPS charges a fee for shipment to a post office box.

All shipped packages should be addressed as follows:
Your name
Hollins University
P. O. Box _____
8060 Quadrangle Lane
Roanoke, VA 24020

SPECIAL NOTE: Online retailers sometimes will not accept an HU street address. The remedies to this can be either:

  1. By putting the street address first and then the Post Office Box line.
  2. Using 7916 Williamson Rd.

Please do not ship any packages to Hollins over the summer. Please ship packages as close to your arrival date on campus as possible, because of limited storage.

Outgoing Packages
Shipping service is provided through PM&SS in Main year-round. Pick-up is at 3 p.m. daily and can be paid for by cash, check, credit card, or charged to individual accounts by filling out the Hollins form. UPS envelopes and small boxes (for up to five pounds) are available free of charge.

What if I get locked out of my room/apartment?

Residential students are expected to carry their room and building keys with them at all times. For the purpose of safety and security, students must not loan their keys to any person for any reason. Students are expected to follow these procedures to gain entry if they get locked out of their building and/or room:

Call a roommate for access to the residence hall and/or room.

Between 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 a.m., contact the RA on duty if a roommate is not available. The RA on duty can be contacted through the RA office (x6312) or through the RA duty cell phone (540-556-5747).

If unable to reach a Housing and Residence Life staff member, contact Campus Security if a roommate is not available.

Students are allowed three "free" lock-outs each academic year. Every lock out after the third will have a $20 charge, billed to the student’s account. Continued abuse of the system may result in referral to Student Conduct Council for failure to comply with university policies. Please note that RAs are not given master keys.

What do I do if I lose my building/room keys or ID card?

Please contact Campus Security to report missing keys. Campus Security will contact the on-call Housing & Residence Life staff to initiate a lock change. Please refer to the current student handbook for core change costs.

Lost ID cards can be replaced through Campus Security for a fee. Campus Security has the final authority on charges for ID cards.

Who can I contact if I have an emergency? After 6:30 p.m., you can call the RA office (x6312) or the RA cell phone (540-556-5747) for assistance. Additionally, Campus Security is available 24 hours/day to assist with emergency situations, and if needed, they can connect you with the appropriate housing and residence life staff member. To contact Campus Security, please call (540) 362-6419 for non-emergencies and 540-362-6911 for emergencies.

What if I have a question that isn’t on the FAQ list?

If you have additional questions before arriving on-campus, please contact Nickie Smith, assistant dean of students/director of housing and residence life at csmith3@hollins.edu or (540) 362-6281. Once on-campus, your resident assistant or residential learning coordinator will also be available to help answer any questions that you may have. Please see the HRL Staff Duties page for professional staff member contact information.