Guest Borrowers and Visiting Researchers
Hollins University welcomes all area residents to use the Wyndham Robertson Library. Guests are invited to search the online catalog and to use the library periodicals and government documents within the library.
Do I need a Library Card?
Yes, a library card is required to check out materials for use outside the building. Please register at the Circulation Desk.
Who is eligible for a card?
- Area residents of 18 years or older, not enrolled in area high schools.
- High school students are welcome to use materials in the library; however, no checkouts.
- Students attending classes at the Roanoke Higher Education Center (RHEC).
Is there a charge for a library card?
There is a yearly charge of $25.00 for community users and RHEC students; there is no charge for Hollins alumni.
What privileges does the library card include?
- Check out up to four items.
- Check out Government Documents.
Are there any restrictions?
The need of Hollins University students and faculty will be given first priority. With this in mind, some restrictions apply to guest borrowers and to non-affiliated students:
- No more than four items may be circulated at one time.
- Guest borrowers may not recall an item that is checked out. However, items loaned are subject to immediate recall if needed by a Hollins borrower.
- Although Roanoke College and Hollins University have a combined online catalog, Hollins University Guest Borrowers (both Community Patrons and Hollins University Alumni) are not eligible to borrow materials from the Roanoke College library.
- Photocopiers are available on the first floor of the library.
- Interlibrary Loan services are not provided. Please visit your local public library for this service.
- Films and other audiovisual materials are available for in-library use only.
- Reference service will be provided on a limited basis.
- Periodicals do not circulate.
What are my responsibilities?
Along with the privileges associated with being a guest borrower come the following responsibilities:
- Notifying the library of any change of mailing address, email address, and/or telephone number.
- Responsibility for all materials checked out; all fines must be paid; and overdue materials returned before card may be used again.
- Card is not transferable.
Do I need identification?
Yes, we are a private institution. You will need a library card or student ID for check out privileges.
Library Circulation Policies:
- Up to 4 books for 4 weeks.
- One renewal by phone or in person.
- Item subject to recall by Hollins student, faculty, or staff.
- Fines: $0.25 per item per day from due date until time of renewal or return.
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy.
- The DATE DUE (stamped or written on a slip inside the book) is the first notice.
- Non receipt of overdue notices does not exempt patrons from overdue fines.
- Email notices are sent via email or print.
- Phone: (540) 362-6591
- At the circulation desk.
- Self-renewal via a web browser.
Charge for a lost item is $50.00 plus a $15.00 billing fee; non-refundable if the item is found.
Code Of Virginia § 42.1-74 & § 42.1-74.1
Under Virginia law, it is a misdemeanor to fail to return Library books or other library property.
For more information, visit the circulation desk.
All information is subject to change without notice.
Last updated: 08/12/2013