Home : Admissions : International Students : How to Apply

Ashley Browning
Director of Admission
(540) 362-6401

Mary Ellen Apgar
Transfer Student Admission Coordinator

Chloe Landon
International Student Admission Coordinator

Mary Ellen Apgar
Director, Horizon Program
(540) 362-6609

 Apply Online

How to apply

To apply for admission to Hollins University, you must file a formal application with the Office of Admission along with the supporting documents listed below. All forms should be completed in English and either printed or typewritten.

We will not be able to review your application until all the required supporting documents have been received (see list below). Once a student is accepted and all additional required documentation is submitted (including bank statement and passport identification page), Hollins will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status (also known as an I-20 form).


  • Send the application and supporting documents to:
    Office of Admission
    Hollins University
    P. O. Box 9707
    Roanoke, VA 24020-1707

If you apply online, you need only mail the supporting documents.


Supporting Documents

Official copies of academic records. If you are a transfer student, please review the additional information below. An official copy of your academic record (transcript) listing the courses taken and grades received in each grading period during the secondary school years must be mailed to the Hollins' Office of Admission by the school official. This transcript of courses must have your secondary school's official stamp or seal.
International Student Certification of Finances All students must submit the International Student Certification of Finances form (PDF). Your application will not be considered complete without this information.
One letter of recommendation One letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor at your school. If your native language is not English, you must submit a recommendation from your most recent English instructor that briefly indicates the content of your English course work and the level of proficiency you have achieved.
Secondary School Report Secondary School Report completed by high school guidance counselor (from last school attended). This may be waived if you have completed two years of college.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)



Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and have your scores forwarded to Hollins' Office of Admission. Hollins requires a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based total), 213 (computer-based total), or 80 (Internet-based total).
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Take the IELTS and have your scores forwarded to Hollins' Office of Admission. Hollins requires a minimum score of 6.5 or above on the IELTS.
Take either the SAT or the ACT and have the scores forwarded to Hollins' Office of Admission. (Hollins' SAT code is 5294; ACT code is 4360)

Hollins will waive the TOEFL or IELTS requirement if a student receives at least a 550 on each section of the SAT. You may contact the Office of Admission to see if you qualify for a waiver on the SAT/ACT requirement.

Transfer Students

If you wish to transfer from a college or university outside the United States, you must have an official transcript of your college or university course work sent to Hollins and you must also have an evaluation of your transcript completed by a foreign credential evaluation service and sent to Hollins University. Hollins recommends that the evaluation be done by the following foreign educational credential service:

  • World Education Services, Inc.
    P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
    New York, NY 10113-0745
    Telephone: (212) 966-6311 or (800) 937-3895
    Fax: (212) 966-6395
    Email: info@wes.org
    Website: http://www.wes.org

This evaluation will help us determine how many credits you can receive toward your Hollins degree for courses you have taken elsewhere. Sending us a brief description of each college-level course you have taken will also help us determine the transfer credits you have earned and which, if any, Hollins graduation requirements you may have already fulfilled. The Hollins registrar's office works individually with each international transfer student to ensure that she receives all appropriate transfer credits.

Hollins University complies with the Virginia State Police in reporting information to the National Crime Center Registry.