Here, From Around the World
At Hollins you’ll find diverse cultures and ideas. It is an atmosphere that respects and encourages free discussion. International students may apply as first-year students, transfer students, or exchange students.
There is an active international student program and students come here from many countries. Like them, you’ll find outstanding academic programs and a friendly and safe campus. You will also receive personal attention from faculty and staff.
How to Apply
To apply for admission to Hollins University, you must complete an application and include all supporting documents. All forms should be completed in English and either printed or typewritten.
- Complete the Common Application online. We won’t be able to review your application until we receive all the required supporting documents (see list below).
- Send the application and supporting documents to:
Office of Admission
P. O. Box 9707
Roanoke, VA 24020-1707 USA
- If you apply online, you need only mail the supporting documents.
- Once a student is accepted and all other required documentation is submitted, Hollins will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status (also known as an I-20 form).
Official copies of academic records
- An official copy of your academic record (transcript).
- This must list the courses taken and grades received in each grading period during the secondary school years.
- The record must be mailed to the Hollins’ Office of Admission by the school official.
- This transcript of courses must have your secondary school’s official stamp or seal.
International Student Certification of Finances
- All students must submit the International Student Certification of Finances form (PDF).
- Your application will not be considered complete without this information.
One letter of recommendation
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor at your school.
- If your native language isn’t English, you must submit a recommendation from your most recent English instructor.
- The recommendation should state the content of your English course work and the level of proficiency you have achieved.
Secondary School Report
- This may be waived if you have completed two years of college.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS and have your scores forwarded to Hollins’ Office of Admission.
- Hollins requires a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based total), 213 (computer-based total), or 80 (Internet-based total).
- Hollins requires a minimum score of 6.5 or above on the IELTS.
SAT or ACT
- Have your scores forwarded to Hollins’ Office of Admission.
- Hollins’ SAT code is 5294; ACT code is 4360.
- Hollins will waive the TOEFL or IELTS requirement if a student receives at least a 550 on each section of the SAT.
- You may contact the Office of Admission to see if you qualify for a waiver on the SAT/ACT requirement.