Write like a drama queen.
What are the prizes?
First place (one winner)
- $200 cash prize
- Production in Hollins’ annual Ten-Minute Play Festival the year following submission
- Free transportation to campus and housing during the above festival
Second place (two winners)
- $50 cash prize
- Honorable mention in the playbill for the Ten-Minute Play Festival
What are the requirements?
- Must be a sophomore or junior female high school student.
- Students must submit their script online.
- Students must have a faculty sponsor.
- No more than one script by any student may be submitted.
- Script must not have more than six characters, all of whom must be female.
- No adaptations, musicals, children’s plays, or collaborations will be accepted.
- Label each page of script with the author’s name, title of play, and page number.
- Scripts should be in a standard format, and text should be in 12-point Times New Roman.
- Include a page with character breakdowns and a page with a one-sentence description as well as a synopsis of no more than 100 words.
Each entry must include the following information:
- Playwright’s name
- Mailing address
- Phone number and/or email address
- Year of playwright’s high school graduation
- Faculty sponsor’s name and email address
- Playwright’s school
- School address
- School phone number
What is the deadline for entries?
February 15, 2015
Who chooses the winning plays?
Students and faculty members in Hollins’ theatre program and the Playwright’s Lab at Hollins.
When are the winners notified?
Mid-April. The first-place winner’s play will be produced in the following year’s festival.
Want to know more about Hollins theatre and the Playwright’s Lab?
Hollins theatre is ranked in the top 20 college theatre programs in the nation by the Princeton Review’s 2013 college guide and is the winner of fourteen Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival awards. As a student in Hollins’ theatre program, you would participate fully in every aspect of theatre, allowing you to identify and apply your own strengths. You’ll write, build, design, direct, and star in the most important play on the planet: your life!
The Playwright’s Lab at Hollins University is one of the fastest-growing M.F.A. graduate programs in the U.S. The program is designed for those interested in playwriting as well as those who want an academic study of theatre, with the script as the central foundation. Structured like an intensive workshop, the summer program enables graduates to produce dramatic works, work closely with professional faculty, and be a part of a supportive and challenging atmosphere.