Summer 2015: June 22 – July 31
The New Play Directing Certificate provides practical experience in playmaking with an emphasis on the specific skills unique to new play development. It offers graduate-level instruction from leading theatre professionals. The program develops strong candidates for employment in professional, regional, or academic theatres. Highly respected directors, performers, playwrights, and theatre professionals teach in the program. It’s associated with the Playwright’s Lab at Hollins University, an internationally recognized graduate program in playwriting.
New Play Directing
Students complete this certificate program in two six-week summer sessions.
In their first summer, directors learn:
- The basics of how new plays are conceived and written
- How to analyze a script for production
- How to collaborate with playwrights and performers on new plays
Directors in their second summer:
- Take a viewpoints and composition course along with playwrights and actors
- Learn how to form and manage their own company devoted to new play production
- Learn how to design production elements in a variety of stages on a variety of budgets
- Learn how to build on methods of collaboration
Each year of the two-year program, directing students will direct a play for our Playwrights Festival, and have their work seen by over a dozen industry professionals.
The program works with Roanoke’s Mill Mountain Theatre and a growing network of theatres around the country that specialize in new play development.
Each year we produce, in collaboration with Mill Mountain Theatre, two plays by Hollins playwrights as part of the Winter Festival of New Works, and we work to bring back our student performers, directors, and playwrights for those productions — providing transportation, accommodations, and a small meal stipend. Several of these productions have transferred to other theatres in New York and Los Angeles.
New Works Initiative
A fund that offsets the costs related to producing work by Hollins’ student playwrights. Students in the New Play Directing Certificate program can apply for production assistance whenever they are directing work generated by Hollins playwrights.
A Bold Approach to New Work
“Hollins directors concentrate on making work, and that’s why they are getting work.”
– Todd Ristau, program director, Playwright’s Lab at Hollins University
A 21st Century Sensibility
“We’re creating a Provincetown Playhouse for a new generation.”
– Bob Moss, core faculty for the New Play Directing Certificate